Junior Engineer Competition – Royal International Air Tattoo, Fairford, 14th July 2017
Following in school workshops, winning teams from 19 local Primary schools came together at the Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) for the grand final on Friday 14th July 2017. The RAF Charitable Trust, working with Stemworks Ltd have put this exciting project together to engage and enthuse local young people about the opportunities available in Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths (STEM) as well as raise the profile of the work of the RAF and the Charitable Trust.
Teams took part in 3 competitions:
- Design Award – teams had to complete a design and build challenge to design a machine that would be able to drop aid into disaster zones. They created models from K’NEX and were judged on their model, teamwork and problem solving skills. Judges from the STEMworks team were joined by Red Arrows engineers (blues) to find the winning team
- Presentation Award – each team had to make a presentation to judges about the task they had completed in school to build a wind powered vehicle to travel 5m in the fastest time. Judges were looking for students to demonstrate teamworking and problem solving skills, along with good communication skills.
- Champions Award – Each team brought their wind powered vehicle to the finals and were challenged to race against the other vehicles in a knockout style tournament.
Following all the excitement cheques were presented to winning teams on Friday 21st July 2017 in school assemblies. Cheques were presented by:
Justine Morton O.B.E. – Director – RAF Charitable Trust
Sandra Keen – RAF Charitable Trust Enterprises
Mo Follis – Director – Stemworks Ltd
Alison Kelly – Stemworks Ltd
The winners were:
- Design Award – £200.00 prize – Ampney Crucis C of E Primary School. The cheque was accepted by Head Teacher Mrs Anne-Marie Wilkie.
- Presentation Award – £200.00 prize – Sherborne C of E Primary School. The cheque was accepted by Mrs Ellis
- Champions Award – £500.00 cheque accepted by Head Teacher, Carol Dougill and winning team Eddie & Ellis.