At Home With NumbersBook now
Course Tutor: Steve Lomax
Who is the training for?
KS2 Primary Teachers, Mathematics Subject Leaders and Senior Leader who wish to raise standards by ensuring all pupils have the arithmetical toolkit to be successful in mathematics.
This is an interactive, hands on course enabling delegates to evaluate the strategies shared during the day and also personalise the content to their particular context.
During the day we will:
• Explore the number and calculation progression within KS1/LKS2/UKS2 mathematics in the 2014 National Curriculum
• Analyse and explore the implications of the 2016 and 2017 KS1 and KS2 National Curriculum Arithmetic Tests
• Understand effective strategies and resources to ensure all pupils have the arithmetical toolkit to be successful in mathematics
• Explore effective approaches to improve arithmetical proficiency, including ideas used in high performing jurisdictions
• Review and evaluate calculation policies
• Try out engaging, practical and easy-to-use resources and approaches to secure and deep understanding
• Evaluate FREE resources
Steve Lomax has been working with senior leaders, mathematics subject leaders, teachers and pupils for twenty five years. He is the Mathematics Strategic Lead for the Balcarras Teaching School Partnership and GLOWMaths Hub (www.glowmathshub.com @GLOWmaths) and also works to improve outcomes for mathematics in schools and academies regionally and nationally through MaxTheMaths Consultancy (@MaxTheMaths). He is passionate about enthusing pupils at all phases to enjoy and achieve in mathematics.
Through his current, and previous roles of Mathematics Adviser for Gloucestershire (4-19), NCETM Specialist Adviser for Mathematics, Mathematics Subject Leader, SLT, AST and SLE, Steve has a proven track record, locally and nationally, of leading change in mathematics education and supporting schools to improve leadership, standards, teaching and enjoyment of mathematics within a school and across partnerships. He has had the privilege of visiting schools, and working with mathematics teachers, in Shanghai as part of the National Maths Hubs research into the teaching for mastery in mathematics.
Steve is a nationally accredited NCETM Professional Development Lead and co-founder of Can Do Maths (www.CanDoMaths.org ) and Kangaroo Maths www.kangaroomaths.com . In his ‘spare time’, Steve enjoys learning about the amazing world of mathematics and authoring electronic and paper-based mathematical resources, including ArithmeKits (http://buzzardpublishing.com/get-the-buzz/arithmekit/), Bring on the Maths and Got Its. He does get frustrated with the misuse of mathematics in daily life and negative attitudes towards mathematics.
Friday 23rd February 2018
9.15 am – 3.30 pm
£190 per delegate (includes refreshments and lunch)