This practical day explores the roles and responsibilities of subject leadership to maximise the enjoyment and achievement of all learners. Ideal for newly appointed Mathematics Subject Leaders, Key Stage/Phase Co-ordinators or experienced subject leaders looking for a refresher, some new ideas and time to explore practical solutions to the national challenges and opportunities of the National Curriculum aims, National Curriculum Tests and adopting a teaching for mastery approach.
This course has been designed to be hands on to not only enable delegates to explore the generic aspects of subject leadership and the practical solutions on offer but also have time during the day to personalise the content to identify priorities that will have an immediate impact on the outcomes for learners in their school and draft a 2018/19 Mathematics Improvement Plan.
The morning will focus on the challenges and opportunities of the 2014 National Curriculum for mathematics, assessing without levels and developing a mastery approach, including differentiation by depth.
in addition to writing a vision statement and 2018/19 Improvement Plan, the afternoon will also focus on developing a whole school calculation policy in line with national expectations and explore effective approaches to improve the ‘arithmetical toolkit’ for all learners to be successful in mathematics.
During the day we will:
- Clarify the roles and responsibilities of subject leadership of mathematics
- Explore the implications of current national developments in mathematics, including the National Curriculum for mathematics and embracing a teaching for mastery approach
- Examine the implications of the National Curriculum Tests and how to effectively interpret data and develop tracking systems to maximise the progress and attainment of all groups of learners
Develop effective strategies to improve the quality of teaching of mathematics across a school, including teaching for secure and deep understanding
- Share effective strategies to foster ‘can do’ attitudes to mathematics in all learners
- Explore the differences between leadership and management and effective ways to lead a team
- Identify effective strategies to monitor, evaluate and review current practice
- Establish effective action plans and policies to improve outcomes for all learners
- Develop effective strategies to implement an effective whole school calculation policy
This course will provide delegates the opportunities to explore the role of subject leadership, develop their own vision for mathematics and provide a wealth of resources to help raise standards and improve the quality of teaching of mathematics.