Primary Teachers and Mathematics Subject Leaders who wish to explore the expectations for Years 3 & 4 Mathematics, improve their subject knowledge and explore engaging, practical and easy-to-use resources and approaches to learning. Ideal for teachers who are new to teaching Lower KS2 mathematics, experienced teachers keen to explore the new expectations and /or teachers looking for new ideas.
This course is designed to be hands-on with delegates ‘doing’ lots of mathematics throughout the day. This will enable delegates to not only personalise the content to strengthen their own subject knowledge but also to appreciate the learners’ perspective.
During the day we will:
- Explore the progression within Lower KS2 mathematics in the 2014 National Curriculum
- Establish the principles and beliefs of a teaching for mastery approach
- Understand effective approaches to improve arithmetical proficiency, including ideas used in high performing jurisdictions
- Explore the use of the Bar Model to solve problems and develop conceptual understanding in addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and proportional reasoning
- Strengthen subject expertise by exploring some of the new topics in KS2
- Try out engaging, practical and easy-to-use resources and approaches to learning
- Evaluate FREE resources available to enrich the provision for mathematics, support colleagues and develop fluency, mathematical reasoning and problem solving.
Steve Lomax has been working with senior leaders, mathematics subject leaders, teachers and pupils for twenty five years. He is the Mathematics Strategic Lead for the Balcarras Teaching School Partnership and GLOWMaths Hub (Home of #YesUCan www.glowmathshub.com) and also works to improve outcomes for mathematics in schools and academies regionally and nationally through MaxTheMaths Consultancy (@MaxTheMaths). He is passionate about enthusing pupils at all phases to enjoy and achieve in mathematics.
Through his current, and previous roles of Mathematics Adviser for Gloucestershire (4-19), NCETM Specialist Adviser for Mathematics, Mathematics Subject Leader, SLT, AST and SLE, Steve has a proven track record, locally and nationally, of leading change in mathematics education and supporting schools to improve leadership, standards, teaching and enjoyment of mathematics within a school and across partnerships. He has had the privilege of visiting schools, and working with mathematics teachers, in Shanghai as part of the National Maths Hubs research into the teaching for mastery in mathematics.
Wednesday 9th October 2019 – 9.15 am – 3.30 pm
Cheltenham Regency Hotel, Gloucester Road, Staverton, Cheltenham, Glos. GL51 0ST
£195 per delegate (includes refreshments and lunch)